Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Being an Indian

Indians (origin of India) have conquered all the continents, but compared with other continents the Indian community has less occupied the Latin America (LA). LA countries, especially Brazil, Argentina, chile etc has rich natural resources and culture. Spanish is the most common medium of communication in majority of the LA except Brazil which has Portuguese as the national language. LA attracts a huge volume of tourist throughout the year because of the serenity of the nature, spectacular beaches, vibrating music and lots. Brazil is a huge LA country with waste natural resources and splendid culture.

Being the first Indian to live in Espirito Santo do Pinhal, a small hill city in the interiors of Sao Paulo state which has less than 45K population. When I say “I am an Indian”, some people think that I am from the interiors of Amazon, the Red Indians. However I have a fare complexion similar to the Brazilian from the north of the country. But, I am distinctive because of my “vibhuti” or “sandalwood” smeared on my forehead which symbolizes my roots or paths.

I am desperately searching for a job in my area of specialization and the hunt has taken mottled twists and turns, received some positive alarms from some giants. Meantime, I am busy engaged in my alternative profession; teaching English, Yoga and learning Portuguese. I have a bunch of smart students getting trained on Yoga and English. I have also exploited my photography skills to some extent. I am surrounded by people speaking an alien language, Brazilian Portuguese which is slightly different from the Portugal Portuguese. I have given speeches in some schools and in the “1st International Alternative Therapies Seminar” held at Paranapiacaba.

I am treated like a God, a master or a genius. Indian culture, especially the Indian marriage and caste system are very popular and widespread among the Brazilians and some greets me with “Namasthe”. For about a year, Brazilians were watching a soap opera about India culture, which remarkably covered the Indian marriage, caste, colors, family tradition, food and love. They are curious to know about “Dalits” and “Brahmans”. They think that I travel on top of the elephant and in all marriages the groom comes on horse. They are ardent about the artifacts from India like kurtas, Yoga accessories, designer clothes, incenses…..an unwinding list.

Being an Indian, I have been given rare privilege by the locals. Once, I was passing through the street and a policeman waved hands and called “Pooja” (He is an old family friend of Dani). I met the priest of the city, Father Augusto, who is a great admirer of Indian culture. He skimmed through some information’s about India (He said India has more than 37million Gods) and he is a professor on anthropology. Wherever I go people recognize me, give me a smile, a wave, a handshake, a hug and I return them with a smile of love. “Friends everywhere”, it is the most simple expression!!!!!

For Brazilians, Indian culture is the most sacred, respected, admired and spiritualized rich civilization. I am on deep trance and here with a huge mission of transforming the community and myself, essentially the gravity of my presence had a colossal impact on the masses. The love, respect, attention and care I am receiving from Dani’s family and the people around me are sublime and spiritualizing. Being an INDIAN………..

To be continued…….






1 comment:

  1. Hi Poojari!
    Howz you.
    Your blog is very nice, and reading this post, I see the same story that happened to my hubby Nithin he had the same problems you had.
    I want an answer from you, if i can publish this post on my blog, is readed by lot of people, and they like to read about the indians in brazil life...
    Well, let me know if you accept!
    bye

    www.meninamaisquefeliz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete