Sunday, August 9, 2009

The shadows of Che Quevara


Recently I bought a color poster of Che Guevara, photographed by Alberto Korda which was declared as "The most famous photograph in the world". I hanged this majestic poster in my living room, which gives a perpetual visibility and proximity. Looking at this poster, reminisces my ardent devotion towards this great hero.

My association with Che Guevara began when I was pursuing for graduation in University college of Engineering. For me in the beginning, he was just an Argentinean paramilitary or guerrilla leader, Marxist revolutionary, physician who organized coups/revolts against imperialism and capitalism. He has engineered many revolutions in Cuba, Bolivia and failed coup attempt in Congo. He travelled across the Latin American countries learning, experiencing and contemplating the basking of colonialism and imperialism which resulted in his most inspiring "The motorcycle diaries" (a collection of his journals, travelogue). Time magazine named him as one of the 100 most influential people of the 20th century.

I became obsessed and absorbed the contents of his ideologies and tried to implement or execute those during my sting in the University. But certainly realized that those are evolved out of the necessities and a democratic country like India is not the playground. A renaissance of communism and Marxism embarked with the evolution of Che, but his iconic charisma and essence of his ideologies has been hugely exploited in the last few decades by organizations and detractors. His image has been depleted/tampered by unwontedly walling his posters in the nooks and corners. His trademark olive green military dress has become the favourites of fashion designers.

I was called Che Poojari dating back my college days. I was engulfed with his theories filled with communism and Marxism. I painted a huge banner of Che which has been walled in many locations and numerous occasions in our university. Recently my mother found out a huge arsenal of posters, banners, flags, articles...etc from my wardrobe. It was amazing that I was able to cover up my leftist ideologies and baggage full of organizational apparatus from my parents. I am delighted that i was able to preserve those.

The shadows of Che will stay alive inside me!!!

1 comment: